Incorporating fitness into your life will help you achieve your goals of getting fit or keeping you fit.
Add these tips to your day for a little extra calorie burn.
- Run up and down your stairs a couple of times until you get your heart pumping.
- Do some calf raises, squats, knee or leg lifts while brushing your teeth.
- Have a race with your kids. They will love it, and you will burn some extra calories.
- Do push-ups throughout the day. Regular push-ups or modified with knees down, as many as you can do at once. Try to shoot for 3-4 sets a day.
- Summer evenings are a perfect time to go on a walk, or take a bike ride with your family.
- If you are walking outside, try to find a hilly area. Walking uphill tones your butt, and burns more calories. If you are walking on the treadmill, use your incline.
- Do your cardio in a tank top and shorts. Your body has to work harder to warm your body up and that burns extra calories! Or just sleep naked (seriously)!
- Pick up a pedometer and set a goal for how many steps you want to take a day. Towards the end of the day, if you're falling short, get out for a walk. See if you can break your record day after day!
- Exercise during commercials while you're watching your favorite show. Do some jumping jacks, running in place, push-ups or sit-ups while you're waiting for your show to come back on. During an hour show, you could easily fit in 15-20 minutes of exercise.
- Park at the farthest end of the parking lot to build some extra walking into your day.
- Drink cold water. Research has shown that our bodies expend more energy to bring the temperature of the water to body temp.
- Do it yourself! Instead of hiring a landscaper, going through the car wash, paying the window cleaner, do it yourself! These activities burn good amounts of calories!
- Chew gum. Every time you chomp down on a piece of gum you burn 1 calorie. Doesn't sound like much but if you were to chew gum during all your waking hours for a year you would loose 10 pounds of body fat!
- Lift weights while watching TV. Just doing some simple bicep curls and arm raises with weights will help tone your arms and burn some calories. You won't even notice you're doing it!
- Stand and let someone have your seat on the bus/subway or in a waiting area. Standing burns more calories than sitting.